The triple therapy for Helicobacter pathologi.

If you are just like me in an overseas university that have a completely different curriculum you'd feel what I'm feeling during my prep. I already have 15 weeks for dedicated prep but what to do to strengthen my basics during the last year of basic sciences ?!!

Studying for the boards is like studying pathology and a punch of other small entities along it's side. If my patho foundation is weak the whole exam will turn into a nightmare especially after they announced in the 2014 changes that even normal states will be asked through pathology scenario, so if I can't diagnose it right here goes any of my anatomy or physio knowledge with it.


For a medical school that's not USMLE oriented they can have a really foreign curriculum to what is important and HY in the boards, and trying to parallel both could be really stressing, especially for me.

A year ago, I stumbled on a play list on YouTube where there is a med student explaining how American medical students study. It's really awesome so have a look at it, here is the link for it :


After some trial and error and a lot of modifications here is the plan I study pathology according to:
Resources:
  1. Pathoma book and videos
  2. Robbins Basic pathology
  3. Goljan RR book and audios
How I do it:
  1. I'd start every new chapter using pathoma videos on 1.2× speed and go through the whole chapter with pathoma book. That should take an hour or two depending on the chapter, after all pathoma has all of the fundamentals of pathology in 34 hours.
  2. Then comes the real studying. I'd start by listening to Goljan audio of the same chapter and then study that chapter at the RR book and take my notes. At first I went at a slow pace like 7 or 8 pages per hour but the speed slightly improved with time.
  3. After studying Goljan which is an easier read with a lot of integration and to be honest is more fun than Robbins, comes Robbins turn. I'd dip into Robbins but to understand only with no extensive note taking or a lot of memorization effort.
  4. With that done the chapter should be clear by now and to make sure I've covered all the HY items in the chapter I'd go through Pathoma again and repeat the same chapter.
  5. Pathoma again fo the 3rd time but now with First Aid, I annotate from all the sources into First Aid but of course Pathoma gets the priority.
  6. Dr. Sattar is really fun to listen to and you can listen to him ×1.5 or even ×1.8 if you are familiar with the content. If you have an android phone or tablet, there is that great video player called Dice player that can play the videos with any speed you want and you don't even have to turn on the screen so I can listen to him during walking or running.
  7. The chapter is now done, here comes the questions: There are 3 question sources that I'm using during the year: 
      • Robbins qbook
      • Lippincott's qbook
      • Webpath
  8. Being done with the questions I'd again return back to First Aid and Pathoma to revise.
  9. I still have 3 months till the end of my basic years and I hope that by then I'd have finished all my pathology studying that way to have FA+Pathoma only for the dedicated prep. So here is [Pathoma+Goljan+Robbins] triple therapy for the ulcers you can get from H.pathologi :)



No comments:

Post a Comment